Friday, November 2, 2012

A sense of calm - at last



Its been too long since I last put my thoughts down in writing.  Someone once told me that difficult, immense, stressful, life changing things only happen to those people that can handle them – is this true?  If so, I must have a hidden strength I was unaware of.

So, at last I am through the dark days the heavy shadows that fell over me for a while and am well and truly out the other side of the tunnel beautifully blinded by the light of wondrous possibilities.  To explain a little where I’m coming from, this summer included:

  • Moving House (whilst the man and kids were overseas)
  • Changing Career (whilst maintaining the old one)
  • Having a painful operation (left unable to drive for 4 weeks)
  • Training our unruly adopted dogs (dealing with unhappy new neighbours)
  • Changing our son’s school (coping with the emotional turmoil it created)
  • A crashed car (no injuries except to the wallet thankfully)
  • Losing a few work projects (due to all the above combined)
  • Boy with Bronchitis
  • Girl with arm in plaster
  • An overwhelming sense of tiredness and lack of control

But, stop, as all the above have passed.  We have moved on and in my mind I am in a much more secure and comfortable place, feeling more settled, positive, hopeful and above all loved and happy.

I just want to share some of the magical things that make this life here in Tuscany bringing up two amazing individuals with my oh so patient man so special:


  • Open fires slowly burning olive wood off-cuts
  • Perfectly chilled Prosecco
  • Cheese and Honey
  • My boxer dog’s so soft cheeks
  • The girl’s special tree, climbed and much loved
  • The sunset above the ancient Tuscan roof tiles
  • The view to the medieval church from our window
  • Late flowering roses
  • The scent of wild curry plants
  • The boy’s dedication to his passion (Rugby)
  • Music, old and new, classic and contemporary
  • An oversized snoozing puppy
  • The return of the long lost cat (after 5 months)
  • Time together watching old films
  • Special friends, time together and apart
  • The dog whisperer who saved my sanity
  • Slowly marinated beef daube
  • This year’s new Olive Oil
  • Tiramisu (pick me up) made by the darling daughter
  • Fresh baked bread thanks to the Boy
  • Rosehips, Sloes and Dandelion Leaves
  • Wild mushrooms, Porcini and Truffles
  • Drifting wood smoke
  • Plans for Christmas
  • Tips of snow covered mountains in the distance
  • Horses, Donkeys, Goats and Ponies (we live next to a stable)
  • One trusty old camera
  • Outdoor sofas
  • Cappuccinos and Macchiatos
  • Brandy drenched Christmas cake (resting on the bookshelves)
  • Piles of books in bedroom, in the bathroom and in the car (and handbag if I’m honest)
  • The total faith that tomorrow will bring more adventures
  • The freedom to be kind to myself
  • Letting myself off the hook occasionally 
I would love to share all the above with you, so why not induge yourself a little this autumn, I fully recommend it. x


No comments:

Post a Comment