Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Food - the good the bad and the fattening

Food – I seem to have lost my flow, my naturalness in the kitchen, maybe the dark days and non stop rain are causing me to feel lacking in a desire to venture to the veg plot but all in all I feel adrift. I normally plan weekly menus, plot days for baking, soup making and general tinkering, but right now the kitchen is a little daunting. Even food shopping is putting me off, I normally dive head first into the open air markets sniffing, prodding and sampling local produce, but suddenly I am at a loss. 

Our eating habits are complex and sometimes hard work. I am gluten free and dilly dally around vegan, veggi diets often darting into pure raw here and there. But then, a Tuscan wild boar sausage somehow ends up on my plate hidden among the mashed potatoes and baked leeks, I woof it down then wish I hadn’t. My DH however is a meat man and would be very happy with all manner of carnivorous fair, he also loves bread and so I make breads and cakes I can’t eat and am happy to see them devoured. I buy meat occasionally that I rarely eat and create vegi meals that everyone else tolerates, just.
So here I am adrift in a sea of uncertainty wanting to simplify cooking and shopping but needing to still create yummy meals that I enjoy making and my family love eating – all on a wafer thin budget. After all I live in Tuscany the land of cheese, bread, cured meat and wine, maybe I will find my cooking mojo again soon. Any helpful ideas or encouragement are warmly welcomed x
TT helping gather olies (rolling in the nets)

cousins this summer
nb:  My copy of the green parent and the book 'eat pray love' have just landed on my desking - maybe the inspiration I need!!

No comments:

Post a Comment