Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Times of change and healing

Well, I am loving this season, summer is here in Tuscany.  Roses in full bloom, Acacia blossoms just fading, cherries on the edge of redness, long wild poppies and orchids in the hedgerows.  Natural splashes of colour to lift the spirits in times of much change.

My children lost their Grandad a couple of weeks ago after a long, long time of  suffering and pain.  It feels odd to think he won't come here again, drink brandy in the garden and enjoy the soothing winds from accross the valley.  Now is the time to focus on the living, the lives we have now and for loving those around us and far away.  Strangley, some people think the children wouldn't feel strongly about their loss as he was their stepdad, but to us he was the grandad Mike, someone that played with them, cooked lovely meals for them and formed part of their childhood, maybe only occasionally but those times were good, worthwhile and special.

Now we are looking forward to summer, sun, swimming, gardening, cooking, the veg patch, cycling, seeing friends and family, scary birthdays and creating more special memories to store in our hearts.  I feel that I am growing up a little, getting less stressed, focusing on the things that matter, not the stuff that used to bother me (dust, smelly trainers, dog fur, lost car keys etc).  Now I can't see the dust as I am to lost looking into the sunset, I can't smell the trainers for the scent of the roses and the dog fur on the kitchen floor is a sign that our old hound is still here, for which I am so, so grateful. x

No comments:

Post a Comment