Thursday, February 18, 2010

Testing Times

Humbug........  We have been trying so hard to stay within our budgets, reduce our debts and become more self sufficient and I think we are doing pretty darn well, much room for improvement though.

Yesterday was just plain horrible. We have been contesting a gas bill for over a year now, our gas co. filled our tank without our consent then sent us a bill for £1,300, of course we said that we would only pay for what we were using not a bulk order that arrived unsolicited.  We have been paying bits off but yesterday they closed off the pipe!  So no hot water, heating or hob to cook on.  Well do you know what, we lit the open fire curled up with our hot water bottles and felt really fine about it, yes I was worried about it, yes it scared me, it really upset DH but in reality it hit home once again how we relie on outside organisations for our everyday needs.  In truth the gas will be back on next week as we will have to just pay the darn thing but it has made me realise things have to change.

So we are thinking how to adapt the following as ultimately we would prefer to go off-grid.

Feed the cooker from a gas bottle - we can regulate this better
Solar panel to heat the radiators upstairs and hot water -we rent our home so might prove tricky
Create an outside shower for the summer months - using black hose or painted radiator to warm the water
Run our computors off a small solar panel
Solar lamps for the kids room
Collect and store wood all year - this year we have been hopeless and cold

So for the next few days I am going to list everything we buy in including resources and utilities and try and find ways to change the way we do this.

To kick start my home self suffiency audit I thought I would try going from room to room, I know the kitchen will be one of the most challenging rooms.

But to cheer myself on I thought I would remind myself of what we are already doing:

Make our own bread
Make our own Jams
Chutneys and Passatas in jars
Sundried tomatos
Freeze our cherries and courgettes
Make cakes cereal bars etc
Made our own solar oven for the summer
Grow 50% of our own veg and store
Make soups for the freezer

G is busy drafting proofing doors and I will make more excluders this evening.  We will also prune all the fruit trees and hedges to store for kindling.

Any inspiring ideas for homesteading or becoming more self reliant welcome x

2 comments:

  1. Here is a link to some solar oven instructions - not sure how well they will work in Lapland!!! Best to make this in shady corner as when the man made ours he nearly blinded himself!! mustn't laugh.

    http://solarcooking.org/plans/

    ReplyDelete